~ the evolution of dreams ~
March 19, 2008,12:59 p.m.
needles
some of you may not know this but i have two dance-related injuries, one that i got in 1998 and the other in 2003. the first one is an injured muscle in my left calf that wraps around my achilles tendon and continues down into the arch of my foot. the second one is my fourth vertebra that is pushed anterior (read: outwards) so that when you run your hand down my spine you can feel a little (it is tiny) bump before you hit my tailbone.

i started going to physio for both injuries recently as i'm doing ballet regularly again, and my muscle in my calf in particular was REALLY acting up. anyhow, i have some neat, quick exercises to do every day, but in addition to this my physiotherapist said i might want to consider acupuncture.

i don't know quite what to think about this.

first of all, i know that acupuncture needles are smaller than regular needles. i hate getting my blood taken, because for some reason it is very hard to get a vein in my arm. i have low blood circulation but i never asked if this was part of the problem. anyhow, i associate needles with pain, and dizziness, since i have had some really bad blood taking episodes (one where i almost passed out IN A PARKING LOT where the CARS DRIVE because the nurse didn't let me rest afterwards. i have never been back to that clinic, needless to say).

secondly, i am kind of curious to try it, in spite of my fear of regular needles, because i am all for doing anything that will help my muscles heal.

so, i'm wondering if any of you have ever had acupuncture done before, and if you have, what is it like?

maybe i'll just bring my airplane eye mask and put it on before the needles go in and take it off after they've come out. :)

Labels: , ,

posted by sappho
Permalink ¤